The DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme Masters Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance Programme offers very good graduates from developing countries the chance to obtain a Master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance for the social, political and economic development of their home country at German institutions of higher education.
Participating Programmes in Host Institutions:
The scholarships are awarded for selected Master courses at German institutions of higher education listed below:
• . Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg: Social Protection
• University of Duisburg-Essen: Development and Governance
• Willy Brandt School of Public Policy at the University of Erfurt: Public Policy
• Universität Magdeburg: Peace and Conflict Studies
• Hochschule Osnabrück: Management in Non-Profit Organisations
• Universität Passau: Development Studies
• University of Passau: Governance and Public Policy
• University of Potsdam: Master of Public Management (MPM)
The courses have an international orientation and are taught in German and/or English.
Number of Scholarships:
The scholarship scheme is open to candidates from Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa; Latin America; Asia and the Pacific, Western, Central, South-Eastern Europe; Eastern Europe, Central Asia & South Caucasus; and the Middle East and North Africa. See the list of eligible countries.
DAAD scholarship holders within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme are exempted from tuition fees. DAAD pays a monthly scholarship rate of currently 931 €. The scholarship also includes contributions to health insurance in Germany, appropriate travel allowance, a study and research subsidy as well as rent subsidies and/or allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable.
Prior to their study programmes, all scholarship holders will also receive a 6- months German language course. Participation is mandatory.
Graduates from developing countries (bachelor or equivalent):
• with a well-qualified first university degree as a rule in the fields of social and political sciences, law, economics, public policy and administration
• willing to actively contribute to the social, political and economic development of their home countries/regions
• who have already gained practical experience relevant for the programme (professional experience, internships, political/social commitment
The requirements for language skills and the required language certificates vary depending on the respective master’s course. All master’s courses have their own selection criteria (degree, grades, language skills, work experience, etc.) that have to be met in addition to the DAAD’s selection criteria.
Please submit your applications for the selected master`s courses and for the DAAD scholarship to the respective universities only (not to DAAD). You must indicate that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-SchmidtProgramme (Master’s scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance). The application period at all 8 universities lasts from 1 June – 31 July 2022.
It is important to read the 2023 Announcement and visit the official website (found below) to access the application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.